9071 Mill Creek Rd Apt 1209, Levittown, PA 19054, USA
actual [at-sign] spamcop.net (preferred contact means)
Innovative, passionate, multifaceted scientist seeking interdisciplinary research position using both bioinformatics and wet lab skills;
Expertise across a wide range including Bioinformatics, Molecular Genetics, Medical Research, Cell Culture;
Autodidact in a wide array of subjects; Dedicated and experienced laboratory instructor with a strong record of high student ratings
Ph.D. in Microbiology and Molecular Genetics, 2008,
Rutgers University and the
University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey
(UMDNJ; New Brunswick/Piscataway, NJ). Topic:
Phylogenetics and Homology Modeling.
B.A. in Biology, 1994, Earlham College (Richmond, IN)
Other courses (including Human Physiology and Statistics) taken (1992-1995) at the
University of South Alabama (Mobile, AL)
Please see http://www.drallensmith.org/research_interests_goals.html.
Bioinformatics (particularly Phylogenetics and Structural Biology), including creation of programs and databases
Online and Library Research
Programming in Perl; Program Revision in C; Understanding of Fortran, Java, BASIC
Usage of Unix (including IRIX system administration), Linux, Mac OS X, and MS Windows
Teaching in Laboratory, Small Group settings, including student supervision in the laboratory
Molecular Genetics Laboratory Techniques (Gels, RT-qPCR, Mapping, DNA extraction)
Cell culture of simian, human cells (293A, COS-7)
Injections into, extraction of mouse bone marrow (partially self-taught)
Fluorescence microscopy imaging (partially self-taught)
Statistics for Biological/Medical Research (partially self-taught)
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (12/2008-3/2009), Thomas Jefferson University
- Gene therapy laboratory
- Cell culture, mouse bone marrow work, fluorescence microscopy imaging
Teaching Assistant (9/1996-7/1997, 2/1998-7/2007), Rutgers University
- Experimental Biochemistry: Laboratory course in biochemistry,
- Rated among best teachers in department for several semesters
- Created webpage to help students: http://www.drallensmith.org/teaching/
Graduate Assistant (9/1997-1/1998), Rutgers University
- Research on emulsions in food products
Teaching Assistant (1/1990/-3/1990), Earlham College
- Genetics and Evolution: Laboratory and classroom course
System Administrator (8/1997-7/2000; fallback/backup 8/2000-11/2008), Rutgers University
- Structural Biology Computational Laboratory
- IRIX (Unix)
Please note a legal change of name from Ed Allen Smith (Smith, E A) to Allen
Watkins Smith (Smith, A W).
- Smith, A W; Kahn, P C. In preparation. Errors and omissions in protein structure database species attributions.
- Smith, A W; Chase, T; Kahn, P C. In preparation. CCAPD: Consolidated Curated Alignments for Phylogenetics Database.
- Smith, A W; Kahn, P C; Kjer, K M. In preparation. Enhancement of the phylogenetic program MrBayes.
- Smith, A W; Kjer, K M; Kahn, P C. In preparation. Structural considerations for improved ancestral sequence prediction.
- Smith, A W. 2008. Phylogenetics and Homology
Modeling. Dissertation. Joint Graduate Program in Microbiology and
Molecular Genetics, Rutgers University and UMDNJ, New Brunswick, NJ. http://www.drallensmith.org/research/.
- Smith, A W; Kahn, P C. 2005 Apr 2. Phylogenetics and homology
modeling. New Jersey Academy of Science and Affiliated Societies
Annual Meeting 50. New Jersey Institute of Technology, Newark, NJ.
- Smith, A W. 2001 May 29. What's the difference?
Science. 2952(5502):E-Letter. http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/eletters/292/5520/1303.
- Smith, E A; Smith, D L; Michaelski, J P. 1993 Jan. Cost-effective method
of determining HLA-DQB1 genotypes. Southern Society for
Clinical Research Oral Presentation. New Orleans, LA.
- Smith, E A; Smith, D L; Michaelski, J P. 1993. Allergic responsiveness
and HLA type. Journal of Allergy and Clinical Immunology 91(1
- Smith, E A; Seickel, J M; Smith, D L. 1992. Trends in skin test results
in a southeastern community. Annals of Allergy 68(1):103.
- Smith, E A; Smith, D L; Michaelski, J P. 1992. Cost-effective method of
determining HLA-DQB1 genotypes. Clinical Research 40(4):817A.
- Smith, D L; Smith, E A; Sindel, L J. 1991. Differences in reactivity to
commercial oak pollen extracts. Annals of Allergy 66(1):92.
- Smith, D L; Smith, E A. 1991 Mar 10-13. Decreased serum calcium and
phosphate levels in older cystic fibrosis patients. Annual Conference
on Pulmonary Rehabilitation and Home Ventilation 3. Poster
Symposium. Denver, CO.
American Society for Microbiology (2005-present)
Genetics Society of America (2008-present)